Thursday, January 12, 2012

Journal Cover for a sweet friend!

It seems like I've been seeing these covered notebooks or journals everywhere on blogs lately.  So how could I pass up the opportunity to get a few new fat quarters and give it a try.  Plus it was my friends Birthday so I thought it would make the perfect gift.


I'm trying pay a little more attention to detail lately in my sewing.  I think that's one of the things I love about the blog Nana Company (I know, I'm obsessed), she does a lot of cute little extra things in her sewing that adds so much.  Anyways.............that's what I was going for in this little strip on the back, detail.   I found this lace at Walmart of all places and thought it would work great.


I don't know why it took me forever to figure out how to add these pockets for the book to slide into.  I don't know why I'm admitting it either.  Once I figure it out it was, I felt pretty stupid.


I'm not wild about the braided jute I used for the garland, but it worked.  I think small white ric rack would have looked better. 

I definitely will be making more of these.  I'm thinking they would make the perfect gift for Teacher Appreciation!

6 comments:

Gigi's Thimble said...

That's a good idea for a teacher appreciation gift! Thanks for the reminder and the link to Nana Co. Yours turned out so cute! Love the pennants and the decorative stripe on the back!

Amber

Jenny said...

that is awesome!! Love it!!But, I love EVERYTHING you make!!

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

I think it turned out fantastic!! We will find that small ric-rac one day. Still, the jute turned out cute. I really like the back too. That would be cute just as is. Did you use linen then?

{northern cottage} said...

just gorgeous - I'm very envious of your obvious skills & the details make all the difference!

http://northerncottage.blogspot.com/2012/01/northern-cottage-party-time-tuesday2.html

Carla said...

It's adorable!

Cathy said...

I wish I knew how to sew. That is so cute!